I learned many things:
1. If you keep it neat and organized you can fit a ton of food in there.
2. I really need a rubbermaid tub for my flour.
3. Only two items were out of date and needed to be tossed.
4. I have a TON of dessert items. So if we have a SHTF situation right now, we don't have to worry about running out of cake and frosting.
5. I am low on pasta sauce, canned meats, and water.
6. I think I have actually succeeded in storing a month's worth of food, plus some.
- 6 months worth of desserts and sweets.
- 3+ months worth of pasta (but need to stock up on some sauce)
- 2+ months worth of canned veggies
- 2-3 weeks worth of canned meats
- 2 months worth of peanut butter
- 3 months worth of flour
- 3+ months worth of oatmeal
- 3+ months worth of rice
- 3-4 weeks worth of canned fruits
- 2+ months worth of cooking oil (veggie and olive oil)
- 3+ months worth of yeast
- 1+ month worth of honey
- 3+ months worth of baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices
- canned meats (although my freezer is stocked with meats, enough for at least a month)
- pasta sauce
- powdered milk (I have none at this point and feel like I need it)
- shelf stable milk
This was an awesome lesson in what we have and what more we need. Now that I am more focused on my "holes" in my pantry, I know what I need to purchase. In fact after I finished cleaning out my pantry I went to Sam's Club for paper towels and toilet paper and I was able to pick up another 5 cans of canned chicken, some more frozen chicken breasts, oatmeal, and a few other items that will go into the pantry. My focus now is on powdered milk and shelf stable milk. Oh and we need water.