Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pending Doom: A Skill Set for Success

Over the last several years whenever I take up a new craft or attempt to learn a new skill by husband will tease me about "preparing for pending doom".  Or "PD" as we call it in our home.

This evening I was quilting and started thinking about our conversations and the various skills I have taught myself over the years that would be helpful in a pending doom situation. I can make quilts and I quilt by hand.  I can knit and crochet and I have knitted sweaters, hats, socks, mittens, scarves and bags.  I can sew with a sewing machine and by hand.  I can cook and bake from scratch.  I can bake bread.  I can cook over hot coals if need be.  I can cook using my grill as a "stove".  I can can foods.  I make a great jam and canned pickles and other foods. I can re-purpose items.  I can garden and grow all sorts of produce including fruit.

I never took home economics in school so many of these skills were learned as an adult.

There are a few skills though that I would like to learn how to do.

I want to learn how to shoot a gun.  A handgun and a shotgun or rifle.  I think this is an important skill.
I want to take a refresher course in first aid.
I want to learn how to identify and use edible plants in the wild.

We own a few books that also help us with other skills that we don't necessarily need to learn now but to be able to do if needed.

My husband has a pretty wide skill set for PD as well.  He can fix just about anything. He can build simple structures.  He can cut firewood, create a good fire, and he knows how to shoot a gun.






We also have the Army Survival Manual.  

What other skills do you think I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment