Saturday, September 10, 2011

Progress on my Prepping

Hurricane Irene wiped out our freezer and fridge.  We have been dwindling down over the past couple weeks on pantry storage too.  I have gone back to baking bread but our schedule isn't consistent enough to bake a loaf each day so I have ended up wasting some batches.  I mix a batch and then refrigerate it and use the dough over the next couple days, but I have had two batches sit in the fridge a week before I get back to making another loaf.  I need to work on this organization.

With our freezer empty and our fridge having only a small amount of food in it I am getting ready to make a large grocery run.  I would like to use coupons but at this point I don't have the time for that.  So I am going and will just shop the sales at this point.

My pantry has plenty of pasta, rice, and cake mix in it.  LOL  I think I need to add some other items there too.  I also need to replenish the water bottles that we have been using in the kids lunches recently.

My BOB is suffering terribly.  I have lists and lists. I have lots of research and I think about items that should go in the bags all the time.  HOWEVER, I haven't actually gotten it together.

I need to go back to baby steps and work on one thing at a time.  My priority right now feels like it should be my food storage.  That is most immediate.  We have another potential looming in the Atlantic. If it doesn't turn it could hit us. So food should be top on the list.  I have my big BOB (our trailer) still sitting in the driveway that we can evacuate with like we did the last one.  It is still stocked.

My goal for food is a three month supply.  I want to also begin talking to my husband about freeze dried foods and longer term storage.

My garden this summer was killed in the last hurricane.  I have only a few tomatoes that are still working on turning ripe.  Everything else just needs to come out at this point.   I don't think I am going to mess with a winter garden this year.  I will start everything again in the early spring.

How are you doing in your food storage?  How long will you last on what you have do you think? 3 months, 1 month, a year???

No comments:

Post a Comment