Thursday, November 8, 2012

Stock up for the holidays-Food Storage

Do you notice the sales in the grocery store around this time of year?  I do.  I notice the cake mixes, bread mixes (sweet breads and regular breads), the spices, butter, baking ingredients, etc. are all on sale this time of year.  It is a great time to stock up for the year on sugar, cake mixes, brownie mixes, flour and other baking items.  I try to stock up for the year.

Having sugar in our stock pile is important to us.  We also stock cookie and cake mixes.  I like to have cake mixes on hand for those "emergency cake" times.  Ha ha ha. But seriously.  Grab a few along with a container of icing.  Grab some sugar, flour and baking powder.  Grab some cakes of yeast too.  I love to grab some bags of chocolate chips (semi sweet and milk chocolate) too. 

Don't overlook sweets in your food storage.  Also this is a great time to get ready for the new year.  Organization is the key to any great project being completed and if your goal for 2013 is to increase your food storage then now is a great time to start to get ready to stock up. Start making lists of the items you already have and begin to make a list of items you need in your food storage.  Then divide it up (or go out on the net and find someone who has already done this) and get ready to start January 1.

As for me, I collect items all year long when they go on sale.  I try to keep a list of items we need and try to look for those when I am out.  This time of year I am also looking for meat sales and veggie sales to stock up for our "lean months" of January, February, and March.  So now in our times where we have a bit more money to spend I stock up on freezer foods, meats, veggies and of course, baking items I spoke of above.

Have a great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment