Wednesday, November 7, 2012

30 Days of Gratitude, Day 7

Today I am thankful that I was born in a country where I have my freedoms.  Freedom of religion, speech, assembly, petition, and press.  I don't always exercise my freedoms as some but through this blog I exercise quite a bit of those freedoms.  I am grateful that I was able to vote in our national, state and local elections and that my vote is counted.

My convictions are mine and only mine.  I can't impose my convictions on another as I know that others can not impose their's on me.

I teach my kids respect for others' opinions and convictions.  I teach them through my words and my actions.  We discuss (sometimes with passion) how their opinions are different but we never attack them as a person. This past election cycle has brought out so much hate.  It is difficult to see those who we will elect to lead us act so poorly sometimes.

I am thankful that I have my freedoms and that they are protected in our Constitution.

By the way, did you know that the first official nationally declared Thanksgiving Day was declared by George Washington to give thanks to our Constitution?  Yup!  So it is only fitting that in this month of recollection of gratitude I include our Constitution and our freedoms it protects for us.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment