Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pumpkin

photo from http://mixtomatch.blogspot.com
Did you know you can use a real pumpkin to make pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies?  Yes, I did too but I never knew exactly how you use it.  I have always used the canned stuff to make my baked pumpkin goods.  I never knew how to get it from fresh form to what I get from a can.

It actually couldn't be simpler.  I asked a friend and she told me.  I am posting this for others who never knew too.

Take the pumpkin (I have small ones, I don't know if the large jack-o-lantern size would work or not) wash the dirt off the outside and cut it in half, top to bottom.  Scoop out all the seeds and stringy stuff.  Then place them cut side down on a cookie sheet.  Pour some water on the cookie sheet so the pumpkins don't dry out while cooking.  Place in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour until you can stick your knife easily in and out of the pumpkin flesh.  Let cool and scoop out the insides.  Then just use that as you would regular canned pumpkin.  See.  Easy Peasy!

I have done four pumpkins and have a TON of pumpkin flesh for breads and pies later.  I put mine in Ziploc bags and stuck it in the freezer for later.

I did make some yummy pumpkin bread using this recipe here.

http://blog.streaminggourmet.com/2009/10/23/ultimate-pumpkin-bread/


No comments:

Post a Comment