Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Family Favorite...Waffles!

On Saturday and Sunday mornings I make a big breakfast for the family. It usually consists of bacon or sausage, pancakes or waffles, and eggs if anyone is interested.

About a year ago I only made waffles from a mix out of a box. Everyone was happy with it except it was expensive and we rarely had any mix in the house. So I went searching for a good waffle recipe. I found one and I have modified it slightly so here it is.

Oh, if you love waffles and pancakes, it is a good idea to start making Buttermilk a staple in the house if it already isn't. Since I started making these from scratch we aren't without buttermilk in the house.


Whitney's Waffles (like the way that flows off the tongue?)

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 TBS baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 TBS sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups buttermilk (more or less as desired)

1. Mix all dry ingredients together.

2. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk.

3. Stir until all dry ingredients are wet but do not overstir. The batter will be lumpy. If it seems too thick to you add just a bit more buttermilk to thin it out. It should be like pancake batter.

4. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. This lets it rise some. Do not stir it down.

5. Pour into a waffle iron and cook to your specifications.


For variation you can add fresh fruit and a bit of whipped cream and call it dessert!!



I always double the recipe and make extra. If I don't have neighborhood kids around to eat some then I freeze them in ziploc bags for later in the week. If I know I am going to freeze them I don't cook them as dark and I do when serving them fresh. My husband fixes the kids breakfast during the weekdays before school and they love having Mom's homemade frozen waffles over the store bought kind. He pops them in the micro to just thaw for 30 seconds and then toasts them in the toaster oven. Hot syrup and they taste just as fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment