Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Yet One More Post About Hurricanes

The other night we built a fire in our outside firepit and roasted marshmallows.  It was a great evening with my teenage kids.  This is rare for us to spend the evening all together as they are busy with other interests, friends, and activities.  I pulled out the s'more making ingredients and we made s'mores.

Why am I telling you all this when my post title implies that I will be talking about hurricanes???  I am getting to that.....  When I ran into the house to get our s'more making ingredients I grabbed a lantern.  The first lantern I grabbed had no batteries in it.  I looked in our battery box and there were no D batteries.  I grabbed the other lamp and luckily it had batteries in it and the lantern still worked.  Heading back to the kitchen I quickly wrote down on my grocery list "D batteries" "AA batteries" "water bottles".

I don't know about you but there are a few things that we always seem to run out of.  AA batteries not only fit in most of our smaller flashlights but also fits in my daughter's camera.  She is always telling me we are out of AA batteries.  Water bottles are also something that seems to disappear quicker than I can turn around twice.  The kids grab them on their way out places, I throw one in my purse, my husband grabs one on the way out to work.  With a family of 5 we go through a case quickly.  We have awesome tasting water in our tap (well water) and we have insulated water bottles that we also use all the time but filling up before we run out somewhere doesn't always happen.  And then the D batteries.  I honestly don't know where these disappear to but I have a feeling it might be a radio somewhere (maybe in my son's room??)  Our lanterns won't work unless we have batteries in them.

Another thing we need is a few screens for our windows.  We don't have screens in our windows. The house didn't come with any and I just have been lazy in the last year and a half we have lived here to buy screens.  Today I will be working to get the windows measured and go to our local hardware store and hope they have some snap in screens that we can put in a few of our windows to get a cross breeze should the power go out.

Hurricane Irma is barrelling somewhere towards the US and right now we aren't quite sure if it will hit us in Virginia but I want to make sure I am prepared for it, just in case.

I have posted a zillion times about hurricane prep so I won't go through all of it again.  You can search on my sidebar all my posts on emergency preparedness.  But remember the basics: alternate lighting, alternate cooking, alternate warmth (if you need it), alternate water.  If you live in a place where you have well water, remember that you won't be able to turn on the tap to get water and your toilets won't flush normally.  Alternate water sources can be your bathtub for non-potable water (for toilets, cleaning and such), and fill all your water bottles, large pots, and anything else that will hold potable (for drinking and cooking) water.

The day after our s'mores evening, I went to the grocery store and grabbed a couple packs of D batteries, AA batteries and a case of water.  I feel like I need to grab a couple more cases (we will drink them even if we don't need them) and more D batteries..........just in case.

I would rather be over prepared and not have to worry than to not be prepared and worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment