Sunday, January 29, 2012

I was talking to another neighbor today and the "Three Month Rule"

and we were talking about my pantry in the hall closet.  She and her kids were over our house for dinner the other night while her husband was out of town.   She offered to get something we needed out of the pantry and she opened the door and said she stepped into heaven.  LOL.  I don't think it was quite like that but my pantry is pretty nice. ;)  Anyway, she and I were talking today and she said she told her husband that she needed a three month supply of everything.  Ha ha ha .... She also said that she was cleaning out her front closet so she could put shelves in there and start stocking up.  Ha ha ha....  I love it.

You see this is how it all went down.  It is also how I try to do things. She opened out pantry to look for another bottle of ketchup.  One must never run out of ketchup when you have kids in the house.  So when ketchup is on sale at Kroger for $1 a bottle I buy two or three every time I go in there and it is still on sale.  She found the ketchup in the pantry and asked what my method is of stocking up.  I told her I try to follow my "three month" rule.  That is when an item is on sale and I have the money to spend on extra I try to get enough for three months.  So if I am buying pasta for example and we eat it once a week and I cook a whole box every time we cook it, then I need 13 boxes of pasta.  That is enough to last us three months, or until it goes on sale again, which often is about every three months.  This is how I have stocked up on things. So for us in the summer time especially we will go through two bottles of ketchup a month (give or take a half bottle), so for three months of summer use I will need 6 bottles of ketchup.  Right now I have 5 bottles and we just opened one that is in the fridge.  Next time I see ketchup on sale I will need to buy at least another bottle or two.

Today, I went to a grocery store closing sale.  It was pretty well picked over so I wasn't able to use my "three month" rule but I did get some items that I am excited to have found.  I got Maple Flavoring and Butter Flavoring.  I want to try this recipe and see if I can make my own pancake syrup.

Pancake Syrup
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 cup boiling hot water
1/2 teaspoon Maple Flavored Extract

Directions:

Combine sugar and water in saucepot.  Cook until sugar is fully dissolved.  Remove from heat and add Maple Flavored Extract.  Serve warm.

I got this recipe from All Recipes {dot}com.  It looks easy enough and I am excited to try it.  Have you ever made pancake syrup before? I would love to know how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment