Saturday, February 21, 2009

Let's talk Spaghetti

Do you ever have the thought whilst cooking that you are on a cooking show like on Food Network and whilst cooking you start thinking in your head all the things you would say if you were truly on that cooking show? Well, from time to time it happens to me. I will be cooking dinner in the kitchen (because that is the logical place to cook) and I will be minding my own business and all of the sudden, suddenly, I start thinking, "now add a dash of this", "when you see it starting to brown....". Yup, those thoughts of what I would say if I were the host of my own cooking show pop into my brain.

So it happened tonight and I thought that I should be the next Paula Deen. Now I pick her because she cooks 'down home' meals. You know, with real butter and stuff. Now I didn't go get my camera which I probably should have but didn't. So we have no pictures here. But I thought I would post MY spaghetti sauce tonight.

I don't make mine from scratch and it would probably be good to take a moment to review my story about my father and his spaghetti sauce. You can find it here.

Now that you read that you understand that I have yet to actually make my father's world famous meat sauce. I used his suggestion and I doctor up a jar of spaghetti. So here goes:

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 TBS Italian Seasoning
1 medium onion
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 jar spaghetti sauce (I use Prego chunky mushroom)

Brown the meat and chopped onion in a skillet. Drain the fat from the skillet and add the Italian Seasoning. Stir and cook until you can start to smell the spices. Then add the jar of spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Cook on low (ish) until just boiling. Serve on top of spaghetti noodles and top with parmesian cheese.

Now this is a base for me. This is the normal sauce and we do eat this sauce as is often. But I have been known to doctor it up a bit by adding chopped black olives or pepperonis, or whatever else I have on hand. Sometimes I will add 2/3 ground beef and 1/3 sausage. Play with it and make it your own.

Leave me a comment and tell me what you add to your spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment