Monday, February 18, 2008

I'm So Excited...

and I just can't hide it....

Oh my oh my! I can't tell you how excited I was tonight when I finally found my rubbermaid box of sewing supplies. I don't know what I was thinking but I decided to look one more time in my closet (aka: storage eave) and try to find it. I searched and searched and (yes the closet is that big) and I finally found it. I opened it up and it was like Christmas to me. I found my pinking sheers, bobbins, thread, needles, and lots of material. I hopped right on a project and started cutting the fleece blankets I wanted to make for the kids. I will post a picture of them tomorrow as they are all sleeping with the blankets right now. I chose coordinating fleece. For the girls, one side is a flower pattern and the other side is a matching plaid. For my son, his is a commemorative cub scout picture on one side and solid blue on the other. I sewed up the sides, turned it right side out and then ran another stitch around the outer edge to make a border of sorts. They love them.

I had a strip of fabric from the blankets as long as the blankets are and about 8 inches wide. With these scraps I made fleece boa scarves. I sew down the middle of the strips long ways and then cut with scissors the fringe (use your rotary blade it is faster) all along the edges. Here is a picture of the boa scarves:
I am just so excited to have my sewing machine out again. We had bought a smaller table at a yard sale early last fall for $5 for the table and two chairs. The chairs need refinishing and the table needs a new top but I cleaned it up and moved it into my bedroom to set up the machine. It is the perfect size for sewing and for the room space.

So my mind is running now of how to have a stay at home business and make stuff that will bring in an income. I think I may think on this a while. The three blankets took me a total of an hour to make and that includes making the scarves too. I need to figure a way to get the material wholesale and then to find a way to sell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment